In a quarterfinal stage draw of the UEFA Champions League that has seen four English teams make it to the Round of 8 for the first time in decades, Manchester City have been pitted against Tottenham Hotspur. That the 2 teams from the Queen's country would face each other was a given considering the disproportionate participation by the English sides in this stage of the tournament.
Manchester United are drawn against Barcelona who happen to be the lone Spanish entrant what with Madrid sides Real and Atletico knocked out in the Round of 16. City and United were both drawn away in the first leg of their ties, but they are not allowed to play at home on the same day or even consecutive nights. Hence the Red Devils' having finished below Manchester City in the previous Premier League season will now play Barcelona in the first leg at Old Trafford and the second leg at the Nou Camp.
Champions League runners-up Liverpool will play Porto while Ajax run into Juventus. Liverpool's first leg at Anfield is on April 9 while Ajax host the Italian champions at Amsterdam on the following day.
The absence of German teams from the Final eight is conspicuous, Bundesliga heavyweights Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund being eliminated in the first round of the knock-out stage. The exit of Paris St Germain and Lyon also means that there will be no French participation further.
Champions League Quarter-finals schedule
- Liverpool v Porto (April 9 at Anfield, April 17 at Estadio do Dragao)
- Tottenham v Manchester City (April 9 at Spurs' stadium, April 17 at Etihad Stadium)
- Ajax v Juventus (April 10 at Johan Cruijff Arena, April 16 at Allianz Stadium)
- Barcelona v Manchester United (April 10 at Old Trafford, April 16 at Nou Camp)
- Tottenham/Manchester City v Ajax/Juventus
- Barcelona/Manchester United v Liverpool/Porto
Popular Bets on who will win the Champions League
Manchester City 5/2