PGA Championship Preview 2020, Betting Markets & FAQ’s
Updated: 23rd September 2022
Although the PGA Championship isn’t the first tournament after the lockdown, it is the first major one, and, for golf betting enthusiasts, there’s nothing quite like the thrill of a competition of this scale.
As the world’s best players go head-to-head in one of the most highly anticipated championships of the year, we’re left wondering: who has the biggest chances to be crowned champion?.
Research is a major part of the process if you’re getting ready to bet on the PGA Championship. Golf can be unpredictable, and anything can happen, but the more you learn about this competition, the more prepared you’ll be. So, here are the most important things to keep in mind:
Popular PGA Championship Betting Markets
Before you bet on the PGA Championship, you should find the perfect market to bet on. If you already have a favorite online bookmaker, that won’t be very hard.
All you have to do is go to their page, click on golf under the sports category, and then you should see the PGA Championship in the list of events they cover.
When betting on the PGA Championship, the outright winner market is the most popular option. This means that you have to try and pick the overall winner of the competition. That can be difficult, however, because there are over 100 players involved, and the road to the title can be full of twists and turns.
In general, the favorite players are around the 10/1 market, while outsiders at 250/1 or more.
Apart from winner betting, other popular PGA Championship betting markets include:
- Each-way betting: this is like a double wager, where you bet on a golfer that will either win or finish high, typically in the first five.
- First-round leader betting: in this case, you’re betting on which golfer will be in the lead after the first round. If you know that a certain player performs well at the start of the championship, this is a good bet to start with.
- Top nationality betting: as the name suggests, you’re betting on the top golfers from a particular country.
- Top 5/10/20 betting: if you like a specific player, but you’re not sure that they will win, you can bet that they will finish in the first 5/10/20 players at reduced odds.
- Hole-in-one betting: you can bet on whether a golfer will manage a hole-in-one
- Head-to-head betting: instead of just betting on who will win the PGA Championship, you’ll be betting on a random pair selected by the sportsbook.
How much does the PGA Championship winner get?
The PGA Championship continues to be one of the most lucrative competitions for golfers, and bringing home the trophy comes with a considerable prize.
In total, the purse for the PGA Championship 2020 is a whopping $11 million. Although we don’t have the exact numbers yet, the winner is expected to receive $1.98 million, like last year. The runner-up should make about $1.18, and the third, $748,000. As for the golfers in the last places, even they will make around $20,000.
For reference, when Tiger Woods won the PGA Championship back in 2000, he only made $900,000.
When was the golf PGA Championship supposed to be played?
This year marks the 102nd edition of the PGA Championship, which will take place between 6-9 August at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco. Initially, the PGA Championship was scheduled for May 14–17, but it was postponed, like many other sports events, because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 2020 PGA Championship is also the first major championship without spectators. To reduce the spread of the novel Coronavirus, the organizers implemented a set of strict safety measures: the golfers will only be joined by their close families in the field, while the media will have limited access.
There was also a strict testing protocol. All 156 players and their caddies have been tested, and they were all negative, so everything should go according to the plan.
Who won the 2020 PGA Championship?
The PGA Championship has one of the richest histories in golf and, if we look at the winners over the years, we’ll recognize iconic names like Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, and Vijay Singh.
Knowing the previous winners is crucial to building your betting strategy, so here are the champions of the last ten PGA Championships:
- 2019: Brooks Koepka (runner up Dustin Johnson)
- 2018: Brooks Koepka (runner up Tiger Woods)
- 2017: Justin Thomas (runner ups Francesco Molinari, Louis Oosthuizen, and Patrick Reed)
- 2016: Jimmy Walker (runner up Jason Day)
- 2015: Jason Day (runner up Jordan Spieth)
- 2014: Rory McIlroy (runner up Phil Mickelson)
- 2013: Jason Dufner (runner Jim Furyk)
- 2012: Rory McIlroy (runner up David Lynn)
- 2011: Keegan Bradley (runner up Jason Dufner)
- 2010: Martin Kaymer (runner up Bubba Watson)
As you can see, the 2020 edition should be particularly interesting for Brooks Koepka, who will be defending his title for the second time. No one has ever won the PGA Championship three editions in a row, but he will make almost $2 million if he does. Nevertheless, many experts consider him the favorite for this year’s PGA Championship, which will make things more exciting, but also more difficult for golf bettors: will Koepka continue his streak and be the first golfer to win three times in a row, or will someone else take his place?
Where is PGA 2020?
The 2020 PGA Championship will take place in San Francisco, California, at a TPC property, Harding Park.
It’s the first-ever PGA Championship organized in San Francisco, so this edition will go down in history. TPC Harding Park is a municipal course, and even though PGA Tour events and the Presidents Cup took place here, this is the first time it hosts a major championship.
If you’re an experienced bettor, you know that this is an extra element of excitement, as well as uncertainty. TPC Harding Park is known for its thick rough and narrow fairways, so how will the pros handle it?.
Castres VS Montpellier Odds Boost and Preview
League: Top 14 Final Teams: Castres VS Montpellier Kickoff : 21:45 Tonight Battle will…
England vs New Zealand Cricket 1st Test preview
England vs New Zealand Cricket 1st Test preview - Lords Cricket Ground on June 2nd,…
RedZoneSports Welcome Offer – Get a Free £10 Double Bet
[single_affiliate title="Redzonesports" size="big"][su_spacer] NEW RedZoneSports Welcome Offer - grab the RedZone Free £10 Double Bet…
Premier League manager sack race; Roy Hodgson latest favourite
Next Premier League manager to get the sack odds update: Palace's Roy Hodgson is the…
6 Nations Ireland v England; Daly & England to Edge Dublin Encounter by 5
Ireland v England Dublin Kick off 4.45pm Article by; Daniel Cullinane 6 Nations Ireland v…
6 Nations France v Wales; Les Blues to break Welsh resistance
France v Wales Paris Kick off 8pm Article by; Daniel Cullinane 6 Nations France v…